POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector comparison : Re: Vector comparison Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vector comparison
From: Kenneth
Date: 2 Jan 2013 21:25:03
Message: <web.50e4eae964cb6c10c2d977c20@news.povray.org>

> The floating point errors are deterministic, so with one and the same
> POV-Ray build they are always the same from frame to frame.

Yeah, after my post, I dimly recalled that this topic was discussed long ago; I
should have remembered this fact.

> However, they may differ between builds, depending on floating point
> compiler settings... So if you split up an animation on a
> heterogenous render farm, results may differ between frames.

I would imagine that huge render farms (hundreds to thousands of machines, as in
the professional CGI effect companies) would have to be strenuously maintained
to have the same builds etc., across the board, if only to minimize or eliminate
this very situation.