POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Making POVRAY "interface less" and "language agnostic"? : Re: Making POVRAY "interface less" and "language agnostic"? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making POVRAY "interface less" and "language agnostic"?
From: denis beurive
Date: 22 Dec 2012 08:50:01
Message: <web.50d5b99efe84a7debe007bed0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, we can run POVRAY from the command line... but it opens the user interface
!
You have to specify /EXIT if you want to close the window when the rendering is
done...
And there is no way to specify the INI file.

I'd thought something like :

povary -s my_scene.pov -i my_inifile.ini -o my_image.jpeg -I include_path

I looked at the code.

First of all it looked very clean.

I tried to build it on my Macbook pro (Mac OS X version 10.7.5), using the GNU
compiler.
I know it would not build, but I just wanted to see how far I could go.

Correct me if I am wrong :

First of all, it seems that the following libraries could be installed using
some packaging tools (ex: for MAC, "ports") :

libraries/jpeg
libraries/png
libraries/tiff
libraries/zlib

jpeg6b @6b (graphics)
    Library for manipulating JPEG images
 port install jpeg

libpng @1.5.13 (graphics)
    Library for manipulating PNG images
 port install libpng

tiff @3.9.7 (graphics)
 Library and tools for dealing with Tag Image File Format
 port install tiff

zlib @1.2.7 (archivers)
 zlib lossless data-compression library
 port install zlib

Is their any reason to include this third part libraries in the POVRAY
distribution ?

Regarding the OS independence, I am not sure. While I compile on MAC OS X, I
have the following message :

CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

This message seems wrong, because new Apple computers uses Intel processors
(that supports 64 bits).

I did not dig further. I'd do it later.

Does POVRAY uses assembly ?

Regarding the execution speed, I have no idea if using an interpreter would
change something.
But I think, that it would not change anything :

The hard work is not the parsing of the description file. The hard work is the
rendering itself.
Writing a specific parser, or using the parser of an interpreter (such as Perl,
Python, PHP or Ruby) should not make a big difference.

Best regards,

Denis