POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reflect light inside box : Re: Reflect light inside box Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:47:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflect light inside box
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Dec 2012 21:20:00
Message: <web.50ca8c67cf1ff5fec2d977c20@news.povray.org>
"Rhonda" <rho### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I have a couple more questions.
>
> The light isn't bouncing up into the box as much as I would expect. I increased
> max_trace_level, but that didn't change anything. I also tried changing the
> position of the light_source, but that didn't change things much either. Is it a
> matter of increasing light intensity? Suggestions?

I commented-out your 'fresnel' keyword and that brightened up the interior very
much.

Here's something I forgot to mention: 'fresnel' in a 'reflection' block also
needs an interior{ior ...} block for it to work correctly. The interior {...}
block goes after the texture{...} block, it's not part of it. *But*, you can't
#declare a texture{...} followed by an interior{...} --POV-Ray treats them as
two completely separate things.  Instead, you can wrap them both in a 'material'
block! It's just a wrapper, and doesn't do anything.

#declare my_texture =
material{
texture{...}
interior{...}
}

Then, when you want to use this, it's:
material{my_texture}
and not texture{my_texture}

By the way, 'photons' almost always look better when the surface of an object is
disturbed in some way, even slightly (i.e., not completely flat.) You can do
this through geometry, or by using a 'normal' block. Try adding this inside your
texture block:

normal{bumps .1 scale 3}

and change global_settings{photons{spacing .1}} to .03  which makes the photon
effect 'tighter' and more detailed (but renders a little slower.)  You'll see
some very nice results!