POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for? : Re: installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for?
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 Dec 2012 20:45:01
Message: <web.50c14893f2519e9c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Thanks to everyone for the useful comments and recommendations.

Yes, right now my overall 3.6.2 folder (which includes almost everything)
resides in its original Windows installation location, the "My Documents"
folder.

I have to admit that I didn't think about moving my main "scene files" folder to
a different/safer place, until now. I just assumed that *all* POV-Ray-associated
files had to reside in POV's main folder. Duh.

I'll move my main "scenes" folder to a completely different location, for safety
and convenience. Plus, I'll make copies of any .ini files, insert menu files,
etc. that I've modified over the years.

I'm assuming that 3.6.2 and 3.7RC6 have their *own separate* "POVRAY.INI" and
"PVENGINE" files (in the latter case, both an editable .ini file and the main
application). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully, installing 3.7RC6 will
not wipe out any of that! (Sorry, my paranoia is showing.) Since 3.7RC6 is
installed into its own separate folder, I suppose I don't need to worry. I'll
make a copy of my "POVRAY.INI" file anyway--and "quickres.ini", of course.

So in order to run my scene files with either version of POV-Ray at will, I
guess the only thing I need to do is add the (new) library path of that folder
to the "POVRAY.INI" files of BOTH versions.

To sum up: I want to make sure that 3.6.2 and 3.7RC6 work as their own
*completely separate* applications, just like other apps (except for sharing my
single "scenes" folder.)

If I've said anything really dumb, let me know ;-)