POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7) : Re: Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7) Server Time
29 Apr 2024 02:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak During Animations (v3.7.0 rc6, win7)
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Dec 2012 17:30:01
Message: <web.50be7880f8006e78c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
> Kenneth wrote:
>
> > OBSERVATIONS:

> 2. If bounding is disabled, frames with many objects render slowly
>     (this is to be expected)

The problem I perceive is that there's some kind of 'extra' slow-down happening
--in 3.6.2--, not necessarily connected with the expected one of simply adding
more objects. The rendering time of my own test scene really does slow to a
*crawl*, and only after about 50 or so new frames (new simple spheres.) The
thing is, when the scene runs as it's supposed to (i.e., with Bounding_Threshold
set to 0 or using one of the other useful tricks), the rendering goes very fast,
and there's no perceived slowdown at all from frame to frame, even after
hundreds of new spheres have been added.

Perhaps it *is* some kind of (hidden) memory leak (the results seem to indicate
it.) Just a guess, though.