POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Hi, I'm back... with a silly (Win 8) question of course. : Re: Hi, I'm back... with a silly (Win 8) question of course. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hi, I'm back... with a silly (Win 8) question of course.
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 25 Nov 2012 15:40:01
Message: <web.50b281aebfc1ea6fd97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
"The Elder Mike" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Am 24.11.2012 22:53, schrieb The Elder Mike:
> >

> > > Thanks in advance for helpful replies that do not include gratuitous chiding
> > > with regard to having ended up with a Windows 8 machine.
> >
> > How about some expression of deep sympathy? ;-)
>
> Since I wouldn't feel right about feeling sorry for myself given that the injury
> was largely self-inflicted, your sympathy is gratefully accepted.
>
> ....and thanks (to all) for the help.  It is a 64 bit machine (i5-2320, 8GB ram,
> 1TB hard drive) not so bad for a machine grabbed quickly and on the cheap from a
> "big-box" retailer shelf. Only the Win 8 aspect is objectionable so far... &
> I'll have to learn the silly thing for the benefit of clients sooner or later,
> so why not now?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Mike C.

there is supposed to be a "classic mode" in windows 8, but (i've heard) it nerfs
functionality.  I've also seen complaints that M$ isn't providing a full api to
3rd party developers like Mozilla, so firefox will only run in classic, while
only IE will run in Metro.

Typical M$ BS...

I do all my pov work in linux anyway: I like the command line.

Regards,
A.D.B.