POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Terraforming: a approach with contour lines converted to a height_field : Re: Terraforming: a approach with contour lines converted to a height_field Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:09:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Terraforming: a approach with contour lines converted to a height_field
From: MichaelJF
Date: 5 Nov 2012 02:10:01
Message: <web.509765b9383e880a9097fcaf0@news.povray.org>
> MichaelJF wrote:
>
> > here an approach to convert contour lines to hight_fields.
>
> neat! Two ideas:
>
> Starting with a 0-level background will take a long time for
> the high values to seep in, you can probably accelerate this by
> using a mid-gray background in the first frame, or even better
> use a "max" filter for the first few frames (you probably need
> to use a pattern function for that).
>
> The filter size (currently constant 15x15) could be frame
> dependent so you start out smoothing over a wide area and end
> up refining only the details.

Thank you, I'm still thinking about the pattern function, but cannot see a gain
with them. First because my experience with them is very limited and second
because my contour lines range from black to white, so using the maximum would
only reverse the problem.

The second idea, starting with a larger area and decreasing it during the
animation, sounds promising. I will give it a try tonight. I used the 15x15
because it the largest grid which is quadratic and centered and fits into 256
map entries.

Best regards,
Michael