POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Two steps forward, one step back : Re: Two steps forward, one step back Server Time
6 May 2024 22:46:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two steps forward, one step back
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 21 Oct 2012 04:10:01
Message: <web.5083ad99befa8986d97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
ShadowMage3D <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> So... still working on my spraypaint macro... and it seems to be
> progressing fairly well, but I'm having a slight problem that I just
> can't seem to pin down.
>
> The image below should illustrate, but to explain, with a random
> distribution over an angle of about 30 degrees, my math tells me that
> with the emitter at a distance of 1 unit (on a scale of 1 unit = 1 ft),
> the paint swath should be six inches wide.
>
> The problem is that it's clearly not that wide...
>
> I'm perfectly willing to accept that the distribution is flawed in some
> way (probably, a normal distribution doesn't accurately model the real
> thing)
>
> at any rate, I'm posting the code for a couple of test scenes with the
> macro include and some pictures, I'd appreciate it if someone could give
> me some clues here.
>
> I've also attached the aperture science logo image I'm using as a stencil.
>
> Also, I tend to use an extended color library kolors.inc which I haven't
> attached, but it should be available if you google it. It's not really
> necessary though.
>
> Regards,
> A.D.B.

After a little more experimentation, I finally managed to get a credible result,
but it takes about 20 minutes to parse.

of course, I may be using heftier settings than necessary.

I increased the dispersal angle to 60 degrees, which didn't seem to have much
effect by itself.  I also increased the particle count to 60k and the Duration
to 30.  with a modified path based on a sine wave, I got the attached image.

all things considered, it's not a bad start, but I don't know if it will ever be
terribly practical, which is unfortunate.

I'll keep poking at it, and see if I can't make it faster.

Regards,
A.D.B.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: