POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : CSG Problems in drawing Arc : Re: CSG Problems in drawing Arc Server Time
2 Jun 2024 14:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CSG Problems in drawing Arc
From: Eugene K
Date: 17 Oct 2012 02:00:19
Message: <web.507e46ec1ba8ef451d9406540@news.povray.org>
> Eugene.K wrote:
>
> > BUT --  CSG still does not work; we get two lit pixels at the intersection
> > of torus and cone boundary, indicating two points of intersection,
> > but that's it!
>
> this would be easier if you post a self-contained sample scene
> (e.g. with torus_z) that other people can render for themselves.
>
> CSG usually works pretty well. Most problems come from coincident
> surfaces or not realizing that you intersect volumes, not surfaces.
>
> Note there is also a "radians" function in functions.inc.
>
> PS: Somehow you managed to format SDL to look like assembler to me ;)

Thank you for suggestions.
My posts have been hasty, but as first ones
at least got me out into POV_Ray community.
Self-contained scene files will be a necessity for good sharing,
although my own reference several .txt-include modules.
Still whittling things down to where I have 'breadboard' scene files.

Yes, it has seemed unclear whether CSG cone{ (open?)}
has inside or not (need vector?), same for cylinder{ (open?)}
I think I need more practice of use.

I need do some more study on what is 'cone', though - got some stuff
in Oakley's 'Analytic Geometry' page 200, plus study POV implementation.

Yes, I'd much rather write "sin(rad(oDeg))" than "sin(radians(oDeg))",
especially in tight places, and symbol not yet used, so:
//=============================================
// ARC RADIANS TO AND FROM DEGREES
// short-named for tidy trig formulae
   #declare  deg_rad = 180/pi ;//=(57.2957795-)
     #macro  deg(oRad)  (oRad * deg_rad)   #end
     #macro  rad(oDeg)  (oDeg / deg_rad)   #end
......from my 'Core' custom symbols package.

Eugene.K