POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with Blobs : Re: Help with Blobs Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:20:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with Blobs
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2012 06:05:01
Message: <web.507bdf722980527cf2eb76540@news.povray.org>
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> > On 13/10/2012 2:51 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> > > ....and for the sand inside, you can use sor too.
> > The glass will be lying on its side, so we will see.
>
> That's ok - make a complete inner sor (or lathe), then intersect it with a 'sand
> level' plane to get sand sitting along the inside.
>

> > > (lathe is another option)
> > Probably a better one as it uses splines.
>
> I often use Inkscape for making POV-Ray lathes - it can export the splines in
> ..pov format.

I must try Inkscape, I have heard nothing but good about it. But first I need to
dig out my graphics tablet. I find that Bishop3D is quite good. Besides
manipulating the points of a spline, you can export the Pov script, manipulate
them and import them again. And you get a visualisation of the surface.

> Better yet, having seen everyone's excellent physics simulations recently,
> create the hourglass in Blender, add 10^12 sand grains, run your simulation, and
> export the resulting gajillion GB of transformation data to POV-Ray! ;-)

This started out as a quick doodle for a logo and it is turning into a project.
Firstly I created the outside bulb and scaled a reference to difference for the
inside. Then I referenced the difference for the other half. This gave me
banding as if the thickness of the glass was not constant.
The next try was to copy the outside spline and manually move the spline points
to get the wall thickness constant. This gives better results but talk about
slow rendering (max_trace_level = 6) and there seems to be a bloom on one of the
bulbs.
I might post some WIPs.

Stephen