POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Segmentation fault : Re: Segmentation fault Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Segmentation fault
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 13 Oct 2012 11:45:01
Message: <web.50798c5cca09a488d97ee2b90@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 13/10/2012 09:26, Le_Forgeron nous fit lire :
> >>>
> >> snip...
> >>
> >> Probably should mention that I'm running RC5 in Linux Mint 11 (Katya) on an AMD
> >> Phenom II X6
> >>
> >> my command line is: povray +a0.03 +H768 +W1024 +T8 +P filename.pov
> >>
> >> currently compiling RC6 sources, but they configured saying that it was RC5.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> A.D.B.
> >>

> > Segfault occurs at parsing time (or seems so)
>
> > Broader union, depth 1
> > (as opposed to your cascaded union of 60000 levels, with 1 extra sphere
> > per level)
> >

> And it parses faster too.
>
> The segfault is due to the depth of CSG: each level will stack a few
> calls... the provisionned stack is not big enough for diving in that data.

Thanks for responding.

It's pretty much what I figured, although I had thought it was a signed 16-bit
overflow somewhere, but 32768 works just fine.

my solution was to create another container to hold unions of a safe size, but
it seems that there's a better solution.

at any rate, it would probably be a good idea to do some error checking on the
stack size before it overflows and causes a segfault.

Regards,
A.D.B