POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Performance and inner workings of reflection : Performance and inner workings of reflection Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:58 EDT (-0400)
  Performance and inner workings of reflection
From: Dabear
Date: 20 Sep 2012 09:40:01
Message: <web.505b1bc6d26a41626f6047fc0@news.povray.org>
Hello guys,

i came around the documentation site
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/348/
and it says: "Adding reflection to a texture makes it take longer to render
because an additional ray must be traced."
I am wondering why it would take longer if i specify "reflection {1}". I always
thought that you are then able to instantly calculate in which direction the ray
must go and then just take the first objects color which is hit by the reflected
ray. If you have some diffuse object then you must send out many rays in
different directions to find out the color at the specific point and even then
it can be inaccurate.

Did i get something wrong?

Thank you very much.