POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera : Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera Server Time
17 May 2024 07:44:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baking dirt maps with the mesh camera
From: MichaelJF
Date: 8 Sep 2012 14:45:01
Message: <web.504b91307531346132e700c20@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>    Wow! ...that's a clock? :O
Yes indeed, that one of the wonderful things about raytracing, one learns every
a litte bit more.

>    Yes, my repair_seams method was a quick hack... indeed what you
> suggest could deliver a more accurate result, if I'm understanding
> correctly.

I tried the following with good results:
#declare t_output_image=
texture{t_base_image translate bake_padding*x}
texture{t_base_image translate -bake_padding*x}
texture{t_base_image translate bake_padding*y}
texture{t_base_image translate -bake_padding*y}
texture{t_base_image}

#declare Pixel=1/image_width;
#declare t_blur_image = texture {
   average
   texture_map {
      [ 1 t_output_image translate <-Pixel,-Pixel,0>  ]
      [ 2 t_output_image translate <0,-Pixel,0>  ]
      [ 1 t_output_image translate <Pixel,-Pixel,0>  ]
      [ 2 t_output_image translate <-Pixel,0,0>  ]
      [ 4 t_output_image  ]
      [ 2 t_output_image translate <Pixel,0,0>  ]
      [ 1 t_output_image translate <-Pixel,Pixel,0>  ]
      [ 2 t_output_image translate <0,Pixel,0>  ]
      [ 1 t_output_image translate <Pixel,Pixel,0>  ]

   }
}

> > The next idea is due to the fact that the occlusion maps are used as
> > pigment_patterns. Can there be a gain expected using hdri-images in
> > place of the png?
>
>    For texture baking, I don't think they would make much of a
> difference, but having a wider range wouldn't hurt, I suppose.

Yes it was only an idea, may be a higher resolution of the occlusion map will
yield more.

Best regards,
Michael