POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : working cycles - common techniques? : working cycles - common techniques? Server Time
2 Jun 2024 11:45:49 EDT (-0400)
  working cycles - common techniques?
From: bugbear
Date: 6 Sep 2012 11:15:00
Message: <web.5048bd61a94a9942408aa4ce0@news.povray.org>
I note that I'm iterating on working on textures on "demo" shapes,
messing with lighting on the main scene, working with placement
on the main scene.

When I'm working on placement, I don't want slow textures.
When I'm changing textures I don't want a complex scene.
When I'm altering a CSG sub element I don't want a complex scene OR slow
textures.
Except for the "beauty pass", where I want "everything".

Does any one have any hints of effective working practices for all this?

It looks like the POVRAY language has more than enough conditionality,
including #if def, and the ability
to name stuff (so a scene could use "my_colour", which could
be fast or slow depending on what an include does.

I imagine that good approaches were worked out ages ago.

At the moment, I'm just editing my file a lot, and I bounce from "fast mode" to
"slow mode".

All tips and experiences (and/or links) welcomed.

 BugBear