POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Photons and the 'normal' statement : Re: Photons and the 'normal' statement Server Time
26 Jun 2024 07:49:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photons and the 'normal' statement
From: Blake Eggemeyer
Date: 4 Sep 2012 15:05:00
Message: <web.50464f9267423a87b1a390a80@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Blake Eggemeyer <i.l### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > I am attempting to create a pane of glass that refracts light as though it were
> > a prism.
>
> > Consider this attempt that didn't work.
>
> > object{
> >   box{<10,1/2,10>, -<10,1/2,10> }
> >   texture{T_Glass3}
> >   interior{ ior 1.5 dispersion 2.4 dispersion_samples 150  caustics 0.4 }
> >   normal{function{0.1*z}}
> >   photons{target refraction on reflection on}
> > }
>
> > I have tried many different settings and the problem seems to be in the normal
> > statement.
>
> > I want the stars on the other side of the glass to be dispersed along the z
> > direction similar to this attempt http://goo.gl/i2gfS
>
> > This is the closest I have gotten, using bumps in the normal statement
> > http://goo.gl/OfEIq
>
> > I want the faces of the pane of glass to behave as if they are pointed in a
> > specific direction.... how do i do this?
>
> Is there a reason you don't make an actual prism-shaped object?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp
Yes, this is a smaller part of a project. The camera won't always be
perpendicular to the glass, as it is in the second example. It must have the
same effect, but be thin. I have tried something in the manner of a fresnel
lens, but the lines were too visible.

I think this is primarily a hole in my understanding of the normal statement.