POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst : Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst Server Time
1 May 2024 23:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Resuming renders in 3.7 RC6 is confusing at best, broken at worst
From: MichaelJF
Date: 23 Aug 2012 12:15:00
Message: <web.503655bd3b0e9547535f0ed20@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Comments (0.01€) about reducing the block size: it might be quicker in
> the end, but it comes with an increased communication between the
> rendering threads and the "storage" thread. Instead of 1 messages for
> 32x32, a 8x8 will generates 16 messages ( (32/8)^2 ).

Yes, I feared for that. Especially using features like anti aliasing there must
be some communication between the threads. But with images which have very long
rendering times it is a psychological advantage to use +BS8, since you see a
progress once in a while.

And yes Thomas, you have made yourself clear, I have observed this behaviour
too. Has someone tried to resume with saved radiosity data? May be the old
trick, to render a small picture and saving the radiosity for a rendering with a
higher resolution will help. But I think POV starts simply at the last completed
block overlooking the fact that some earlier ones are missing.

In the meantime I have tested the photon issue and got very strange results with
the picture of the (clumsy model of the) sceptre of Catherine the Great. Using a
simple sky_sphere, there were no problems but with my attempt to use an HDRI
lighting (which can be a wrong parametrisation by me since it is the first time
I tried such a lighting) I observed strange changes in color. I will put the
images in the p.b.i. for further discussion soon.

Best regards,
Michael