POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : color_map : Re: color_map Server Time
27 Jun 2024 13:57:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color_map
From: ltong
Date: 21 Aug 2012 23:00:00
Message: <web.50344a32f6ca84721cd19dea0@news.povray.org>
> Am 17.08.2012 17:04, schrieb Warp:
>
> > What happens when you apply it to an object is that the surface of the
> > object gets colored by this universe-filling pigment at the places where
> > this surface is located. (It's a bit like the object's surface "intersects"
> > with the pigment, and you see the color of the pigment at those places.)
>
> Or, to take an analogy, POV-Ray's standard way of handling pigments is
> like carving an object out of a given solid material, such as a piece of
> wood.
>
> This is very much unlike UV-mapping (as frequently used by other 3D
> renderers), which is more akin to wrapping the object in patterned paper.

Thanks, Warp and clipka!

What I'm trying now is to get some light beams, for example, a focused Gaussian
laser beam. I first create an object of the shape of a Gaussian beam using
difference {box, torus} or sth like that. Then I try to create the light effect
using a color_map inside pigment_interior_media_density, which I learned from
web. However, i couldn't find any build-in patterns for a Gaussian beam, in
which the intensity is the highest in the center and attenuates gradually to the
edges, it has a gradient along the axis as well. Any suggestions for such a
pattern? Or maybe alternative way to achieve it?

Also, I still do not understand it quite well. According to what Warp says, it
is surface of an object that gets colored, so only those x,y,z on the surface
would be useful to create the color map? Then is it possible to use color_map
create colors inside a "hollowed" object?