POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : filling a bottle with fluid : Re: filling a bottle with fluid Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: filling a bottle with fluid
From: jhu
Date: 20 Aug 2012 12:40:00
Message: <web.503267e5da492adad19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
"joe" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > "joe" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > I've built a soda bottle with a bezier_spline lathe object.  It's clear glass,
> > > hollow and has a wall thickness.  To fill the bottle with soda I am creating
> > > another lathe object inside the bottle.  To prevent a coincident surface problem
> > > should I scale the soda larger to push the soda into the bottle wall?  Any
> > > better ways to fill a bottle with fluid?
> >
> > Here's what I usually do with such things. Make a lathe, subtract a slightly
> > smaller lathe to create a hollow object, then place a slightly smaller lathe
> > (just smaller than the difference) inside with appropriate media definitions. In
> > all, you should have 3 of the same lathes, just different sizes.
>

> With the liquid being slightly smaller than the cavity won't the air space
> between the liquid and the wall be visible in some slight way?

Short answer: no

Long answer: no, if the camera is sufficiently far away and the "liquid" is
scaled very closely to the container. However if the camera is very close to the
container, then maybe.

Let's say your camera is 1 unit away from your bottle. You place a bottle at
<0,0,0>, then put the liquid in by scaling your bottle model by .9. You will see
a gap. However, if you scale the bottle model by .999999999 you probably won't
see the gap.