POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling Povray 3.7RC6 on FreeBSD 9-stable : Re: Compiling Povray 3.7RC6 on FreeBSD 9-stable Server Time
7 May 2024 04:48:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling Povray 3.7RC6 on FreeBSD 9-stable
From: jhu
Date: 30 Jul 2012 13:20:00
Message: <web.5016c1581bd55c6adbad07950@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <lef### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 28/07/2012 17:50, jhu a écrit :
> > Currently running a static binary compiled in FreeBSD 8.2 and it works fine (all
> > pov files are installed in the correct place). One more thing to try...
> >

> So, it is:
>  * Same povray code
>  * different compiler ?
>  * different libraries
>  * static linking instead of dynamic linking ?
>
> Puzzling:!

1) Same povray code
2) same compiler (gcc46)
3) different libraries might be the problem, still not sure. In FreeBSD 8.2 I
was using the standard boost from the FreeBSD repository.
4) I specifically compiled a static binary in 8.2 because I anticipated
compiling difficulties prior to upgrading to 9.0.

However the stock compiler that's installed (gcc 4.2) compiles just fine; the
resulting binary is just slow.