POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Half a cylinder (with open ends) : Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Half a cylinder (with open ends)
From: B  Gimeno
Date: 27 Jul 2012 13:40:01
Message: <web.5012d1cdc440f47951f818f50@news.povray.org>
"Chaanakya" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > On 26-7-2012 16:31, Chaanakya wrote:
> >
> > > Ah I understand.  Thank you!  Is there any way to now cut that object in half
> > > (without ending up with a plane "capping" it)?
> > >

> > Just a hint: maybe this is described in the manual...? It is really
> > worth reading and the writers have done a great job; they must feel
> > frustrated if their work is not appreciated or used...  ;-)
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I did read the manual.  I think I didn't completely understand exactly how CSG
> worked (and clipka cleared that up for me).  Maybe I didn't search thoroughly
> enough.  I did find how to cut a sphere in half somewhere in the manual, and I
> tried copying that at first.  I didn't realize that the reason the cylinder
> looked solid was because of other issues (not cutting the second cylinder out
> properly).  Also, the example given in the manual with the hemisphere uses an
> intersection, and the eventual solution here used a difference.  Yes, it's
> pretty much the same thing, but as I said, I didn't really understand how CSG
> worked.  I've actually been using the manual pretty heavily ;)

Hi,
The best method of teaching isn't give the solution as I have done in my
previous answer, but provide the necessary guidelines to understand the problem
as other users did. So, I apologize for the intrusion and I suggest that you
consider the following:
- In general, never use a fixed value where you can declare a variable.
- Do not declare a variable where you can use a parameter (and write a function
or a macro, in the long run is more profitable)
- Do not repeat code in the same file stage.
- If you get stuck, ask the user community.

Regards,
B. Gimeno