POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Weird image : Re: Weird image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Weird image
From: Chaanakya
Date: 25 Jul 2012 09:00:01
Message: <web.500fed88df11dff27f523b7e0@news.povray.org>

(http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/<web.500560817fd5a6c37f523b7e0@news.povray.org>/)
> > that I should be fine using
> >
> > pigment { transmit 1 }
> > finish { reflection { 1 fresnel on } conserve_energy }
> > interior { ior -1.5 }
>
> There was never a mention of negative ior :-P

lol sorry about that :P  I was trying to explain the whole firestorm over
reflection { 1 fresnel on } versus reflection { 0,1 fresnel } (both doing
exactly the same thing).  I didn't mean to imply that there was a mention of
negative ior.  It makes perfect sense, however, to assume that positive and
negative iors are processed in exactly the same way and that therefore, what
works for a positive ior should also work for a negative ior (since the fresnel
equations still hold for negative ior, it would be safe to assume that negative
iors also work in povray.  Indeed, there has been at least one paper about
modeling negative index metamaterials in povray, but their source code is
nowhere to be found).