POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Weird image : Weird image Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Weird image
From: Chaanakya
Date: 24 Jul 2012 08:55:00
Message: <web.500e9a44683389ef7f523b7e0@news.povray.org>
Hey guys!  I'm getting a puzzling image from POV-Ray and I thought you guys
might be able to help:

When I render the following POV-Ray source file, I get parts of the inner cube
which are semi-transparent.  I don't think that should be happening.  Take a
look:

#version 3.6;
#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  max_trace_level 256
  ambient_light White
  assumed_gamma 1.0
}

camera {
  location <10,0,0>
  look_at <0,0,0>
  //rotate <0,0,-clock*90>
}

light_source {
  <1000,1000,0>
  color White
}

plane {
  y, -10
  pigment { hexagon Green, White, Blue }
}

box {
  <-0.99,-0.99,-0.99>,<0.99,0.99,0.99>
  pigment {
    checker Red, Yellow
  }
}

difference {
  box { <-1.3,-1.3,-1.3>,<1.3,1.3,1.3> }
  box { -1,1 }
  pigment {
    transmit 1
  }
  finish {
    ambient 0
    diffuse 0
    conserve_energy
    reflection {
      1.0
      fresnel on
    }
    specular 0
    roughness 0.001
  }
  interior {
    ior 1.5
  }
}

The ior of the covering box is 1.5, which is that of glass if I'm not mistaken.
So why is there transparency of the inner cube?

Sincerely,

Chaanakya