POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : torus, inward/outward tilted : torus, inward/outward tilted Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:41:48 EDT (-0400)
  torus, inward/outward tilted
From: peter puzzelaar
Date: 17 Jul 2012 05:55:01
Message: <web.500534b792b607dd47437ba70@news.povray.org>
Hi all...

I am getting stuck on constructing a piece of an assembly.

This piece I want is a sector of a torus-ish element.
So let's describe this torus-ish thing...

Scale a normal torus in the y-direction:
  #declare myTorus= torus {24, 0.4 sturm on scale <1, 2, 1>}

Now I want to tilt the complete (scaled) torus inward (AND preserving the 2:1
ratio of the cross section of the tube)

I tried several things, like shearing with matrix  (which does indeed tilt the
torus: if applied on quarter of torus, and then connect 4 of these quarters
again
to get full torus again. You have a nice inward tilted torus).
However - no matter what i tried - it leads to a very flat torus - so no longer
preserving the 2:1 ratio of the cross section of the tube).

I would be happy for any advice on how to make a torus which has 2:1 ratio of
its tube preserved and can be tilted any degrees (0 to 90) inward/outward.

Best regards,

Peter