POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange halo on reflections : Re: Strange halo on reflections Server Time
27 Jun 2024 17:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange halo on reflections
From: Crippso
Date: 11 Jul 2012 18:15:00
Message: <web.4ffdfa9d58f7bdbc130037650@news.povray.org>
Thanks Alain

thats very helpful advice. I have taken on board your suggestions and get good
scenes now.

One thing I have noticed that is strange in a scene I have created is
absorption. If I shoot photons towards a box with ior = 3.2 that has a thinner
box inside it with same ior but with exponential absorption (alpha) and
thickness (t_box2) I get unexpected results. I use 'difference' to cut two
45degree angles through the two boxes, with the angled sides facing each other
(resulting shape like a truncated pyramid). If I shoot photons so that they hit
an angled side at a position in the midpoint of the absorbing box the photons
are reflected towards the other 45degree face where they are again reflected and
are sent back towards the light source (offset slightly but parallel).

From my results of this it looks like the reflected rays are not absorbed by the
absorbing layer (the path length through the absorber for these photons should
be long because the reflection is in the long dimension of this absorber, rather
than through its smaller thickness).

In a more simple scene without the 'difference' when i shoot rays at the boxes
the returned intensity looks right (absorption is exp(-2*t_box2/alpha) and
multiple reflections seem to be accounted for too).

Is it possible that absorption is calculated in a way that means using
difference to shape an object wont allow correct estimate of pathlength of
photons through the layer?