POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment : Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment Server Time
8 May 2024 11:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early Earth: The Late Heavy Bombardment
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 5 Jul 2012 17:15:00
Message: <web.4ff6027c2e3f21fbf013bd00@news.povray.org>
> On 3-7-2012 22:07, Samuel Benge wrote:
> >
> > Also, is this near the beginning of the LHB? If not, you might want to pock up
> > the crust a bit with craters, and dirty up the sky with pulverized earth.
>
> I think that we should keep in mind the time scale of the whole event:
> about 200 million years! That is a period of time equivalent to the one
> since the late Triassic till today! Enough to severely rework the whole
> Earth crust but it means also that the LHB, on a human time scale, was
> not that "apocalyptic" in terms of impact frequencies.

Time enough between impacts to, say, allow weathering and erosion to obscure
previously formed craters?

> I second attempt at the impact, adding a scattering media (type 1) with
> bozo density as simulation for the dust ejecta.
>
> Hm. Better but still not entirely convincing. I have been looking at the
> df3 generation code of Gilles Tran but that is done within a regular box
> which is not useful here...

Why not? Wouldn't it be able to fit inside a cylinder?

Found a couple daytime fireball photos, since references are always handy:
http://www.utahskies.org/image_library/shallowsky/meteors/fireball_burnett_big-apod20031001.jpg
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Screen-shot-2012-04-22-at-6.37.33-PM-620x367.png

The second one went along with a news article about a loud explosion heard
around my area that is suspected to have been a large meteor entering (and
subsequently fragmenting) into the earth's atmosphere. (It's a stock NASA photo
of another fireball.) I actually heard it with my own ears, but at the time
figured it was just another of the many loud booming sounds that occur
frequently around here. (People are always shooting their firearms nearby, and
other explosions can be heard farther uphill that sound like a tunnel being dug
[probably by those top-secret black helicopter types ;)].)

Oh, and I was wondering, wouldn't the lake's water and the hills' dirt possibly
be disturbed by the impact? I've seen aerial footage of accidental ground-level
jet fuel ignition, and there's a discernible shock wave that precedes the
visible above-ground explosion. Would that not also occur in this case?