POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Turn radiosity off per Object : Re: Turn radiosity off per Object Server Time
21 May 2024 08:44:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turn radiosity off per Object
From: felipk101
Date: 25 Jun 2012 01:20:07
Message: <web.4fe7f3f59b19f5ec182b97660@news.povray.org>
> Am 21.06.2012 04:21, schrieb felipk101:
> > Hi,A big thank you in advance.
> >
> > I have a very large scene, consisting of polygons and 40 million sphere.
> > I'm trying to only calculate the radiosity on the surface of the polygons. Can I
> > tell POV-Ray 3.7 to not calculate radiosity for sphere objects.
>
> If I understand you correctly, then you want the polygons to be rendered
> with radiosity illumination (honoring the effects of the spheres on
> this), but the spheres to be rendered with classic illumination (i.e.
> just the constant "ambient" term).
>
> This is currently not possible. (However, if you're only interested in
> the spheres' radiosity effects on the polygons, and don't actually need
> the spheres in the image otherwise, then you can specify "no_image" on
> the spheres to not waste computation time on them.)
>
> If, on the other hand, I'm misunderstanding you, and what you really
> want is everything to be rendered with radiosity illumination, but not
> honoring the effects of the spheres on this, then you can achieve this
> by specifying "no_radiosity" for the spheres; this makes them
> "invisible" to radiosity computations on other objects.

Hi Clipka,

Thanks for your advice, I'm actually not even concerned with rendering the scene
rather only working with POVRays radiosity algorithm. So I save the radiosity
values to file and than run statistics from anther software.

So I would like to see the effect that the spheres have on the polygon surfaces
only. I've now tried a number of things, and the one that seems to be doing the
trick is setting diffuse to 0. So now I believe they are just blocking radiosity
rays!! So your first paragraph but minus even rendering the spheres.

Cheers

Felix