POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cloud rendering : Cloud rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:31 EDT (-0400)
  Cloud rendering
From: taftj
Date: 4 Jun 2012 16:30:00
Message: <web.4fcd1a5e61bffe2de3f6250f0@news.povray.org>
I was curious if anyone had ever thought about renting linux clusters for
rendering with PovRay.  Google and Amazon both rent servers for cloud computing.
 Amazon's service is called EC2, and I'm not sure what Google's is called.  I
remember reading that previous versions of Povray were compatible with PVM.  So
has anyone thought about doing this, whether it's possible, and how expensive it
would be?  I think Amazon's service is about 10 cents per server-hour so in that
case it might only cost a few bucks for a render that would be computationally
prohibitive on a single machine.