POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with macro(s) for simulating weather patterns : Re: Help with macro(s) for simulating weather patterns Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with macro(s) for simulating weather patterns
From: D103
Date: 16 Apr 2012 01:40:04
Message: <web.4f8bb03ad5742bdd5ae2687f0@news.povray.org>
> It looks quite exciting although it seems not easy to do to me. I
> suppose you do not want to emulate the super-computers that try to model
> the atmosphere ;-) but even so, there are so many complex parameters
> that I would wonder where to start. However, you seem to have some ideas
> and I am looking forward to some preliminary results. I suppose that
> would make it easier to discuss.
>
> Thomas

Exactly my reasons for posting. :) You are right, there are myriad parameters,
however I am trying to get away with as few as possible. ;)

Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> No real experience here. At best a notion that the atmosphere of earth
> is split in "cell", or rather bands (5): around the equator, at the
> poles, and midway. the boundaries moving with seasons. The most complex
> bands being the midway ones, with Coriolis and other effects.
> Pole are "simple": expend on light, contract on darkness.
>
> Rain/clouds starting when hot wet air met colder area: either another
> cell/band or due to the local geography (such as an island or a
> mountain) or local albedo (rain forest is self-supporting, as long as
> its wet and dark... once the wood is gone, expect Sahara desert-like and
> no return: it could turn into Atacama)
>
> Also, a bit particular: nearly constant circular winds around Australia
> main mount.
> Not found on the other side of the planet. (but looks like Jupiter's
> stable whirl in south hemisphere)
>
> I probably miss a lot of influences too.

Yeah that's all generally correct, naturally there are other influences as you
said. Thing is though, not all the planets I will be doing cloud maps for are
Earth-like, otherwise I could simply use variations of Earth's, as the
developers of Vega-Strike have done wherever they can already. :)

Thanks for feedback/interest, :)

D103