POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : bitmap to polygons? : bitmap to polygons? Server Time
27 Jun 2024 17:02:00 EDT (-0400)
  bitmap to polygons?
From: blooflame
Date: 7 Apr 2012 13:55:01
Message: <web.4f807f2ed59fb813381b14980@news.povray.org>
I think I understand a little of the image map thing used to provide textures
for surfaces, and why a bitmap becomes a square polygon (0,0) to (1,1).  What I
want is to bring a bitmap in as a "billboard" more or less, with its aspect
ratio retained (and I guess, assuming square pixels in the original.  To be able
to do that, it seems I would need to read the bitmap and have each area of color
become a polygon filled with that color - I think.

1) If I load the bitmapped image as an image map and stretch it to match its
original aspect ratio (for example, if it was 320 x 240) will it look like it
originally did and therefore I can ignore the problem?  (when I last tried this
about 3 years ago, I knew the SDL statements to do this, but I've forgotten
them).

2) if not, then are there any utilities or graphics programs out there which
will create POV-Ray polygons from bitmapped images?

3) Am I even barking up the right tree?