POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Coordinates of a point knowing 3 points and 3 distances : Coordinates of a point knowing 3 points and 3 distances Server Time
28 Sep 2024 07:42:14 EDT (-0400)
  Coordinates of a point knowing 3 points and 3 distances
From: Luc H
Date: 29 Mar 2012 08:35:01
Message: <web.4f74560487c2011bad83d13e0@news.povray.org>
Hello

I have 3 points in space, and I'd like to get the coordinates of a 4th point.

The known data are
P1 : <P1.x, P1.y, P1.z>
P2 : <P2.x, P1.2, P2.z>
P3 : <P3.x, P1.3, P3.z>

Distance from point 1 to point 4 : D1
Distance from point 2 to point 4 : D2
Distance from point 3 to point 4 : D3

I tried with some formula (google : "trilateration" and "triangle resolution")

I could easily do this with 2 known points and 2 distances (on a fixed z plan)
but no way to get something working in 3D ^^

Any advice ?

Regards,
 Luc.