POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic sky sphere at twilight : Re: Realistic sky sphere at twilight Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic sky sphere at twilight
From: waggy
Date: 7 Feb 2012 23:45:00
Message: <web.4f31fd01b6d52b389726a3c10@news.povray.org>
> of course if anyone has some knowledge of the "real" mathematical model for a
> twilight sky sphere (and an approximative function) , i ll be glad to hear it !

I looked into this a couple of years ago.  If I recall correctly, a good
approximation can be made by combining a ground fog (Copper can work well) with
a regular gradient on the sky_sphere oriented in the same direction as the sun.
 The gradient's scale and wave form pick the first color in the color_map for
the sky right behind the sun, while the last color shows up on the opposite side
of the sky_sphere (usually below the horizon).  The color_map for the gradient
will vary with the time of day.

The sky sphere simulates the molecular (Raleigh) scattering, while the ground
fog approximates lower-atmosphere aerosol (water and solid particle) scattering.