POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost library requirements : Re: Boost library requirements Server Time
17 May 2024 04:03:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost library requirements
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 24 Jan 2012 20:10:01
Message: <web.4f1f55419688c3d585de7b680@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 23/01/2012 21:05, Cousin Ricky nous fit lire :
> >    checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no
>
> Issue: boost::Thread is a trump for the system library, on linux it is
> pthread (or it will try harder with proprietary threading... do not go
> that way on linux).
>
>  You must install libpthread !

Merci beaucoup!  I would never have figured that out.

The only problem is finding it!  A Web search revealed no repository for this
library, and a plethora of people looking for it.  There are hints that it's
part of glibc, but I've had little luck tracking down this library as well.  It
is said that it should already be part of my system, but I could not tell
whether they meant a developer's or a runtime setup.

However, during my search, I discovered that I needed updates to my system.
This may have been my timing; I happened to download a major release of openSUSE
before they got all the bugs cleaned out.

After installing the updates (which took something like an hour), Boost /still/
didn't compile cleanly, but POV-Ray did.  :-)

However, config.log did not report any differently for the pthread checks; in
particular, it still reported:

   checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no

Is this a cause for concern?  POV-Ray seems to be working fine.