POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray speed increases : Re: Povray speed increases Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray speed increases
From: jhu
Date: 16 Dec 2011 15:00:01
Message: <web.4eeba2327590f22cd19b0ec40@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> jhu <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > FreeBSD 8.2, gcc 4.6, -march=barcelona
>
>   You can use "-march=native" to tell gcc to automatically optimize for
> the current system.
>
>   Btw, what other optimization options are you using? I assume that at
> least "-O3"? Besides that, try using "-ffast-math". You might also try
> "-mfpmath=sse -msse2" (or a higher number if gcc supports it).
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Forgot to mention that this is on 64-bit Debian and FreeBSD, so -msse2 is
implicitly set. Other options are the usual ones that configure provides (that
includes -O3 and -ffast-math). What I find interesting is that Povray on FreeBSD
is faster without the "-mfpmath=both" (times not listed) whereas on Linux
"-mfpmath=both" significantly speeds up rendering to within 3% of the FreeBSD
time. Must be something with the kernels of each OS.