POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering recursive objects (Menger Sponge) : Re: Rendering recursive objects (Menger Sponge) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:30:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering recursive objects (Menger Sponge)
From: Terabyte
Date: 9 Nov 2011 06:15:01
Message: <web.4eba5ffe5836d2f41406bbc20@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
> Now, at the deepest level are the cubes still visible ?  If the starting
> cube was 1000 pixels on a side then at level 7 the cubes would be 1000 /
> 3^7 = 1000 / 2187 or about half a pixel in size.  I guess you'd get some
> impression of detail given AA.  More so of course at your stated
> resolution of 3200x2400 and if the view is zoomed in somewhat.
>
> Good luck and do post the result at reduced resolution.

Hi Paul,

Yes, I think you're right. A level 7 Menger Sponge would probably be too
detailed for a normal screen resolution. Even the level 6 sponge is very
detailed, even at 3200x2400 resolution. But it's just for the challenge.

Just look at the tiny, little Level 0 cube in the image.
Look like a pixel error :-)

I posted the image (3200x2400, jpg, 1MB) under
povray.binaries.images, then "Menger Sponge Scene (Level 6 to 0)". Parsing time
was about 10 seconds, render time with reflection and other cubes about 3 hours.

To all: Thanks for your feedback.

Terabyte

PS: I found this on the internet: (This guy is rendering a Level 9! sponge)
http://www.pure-mirage.com/html/Optimized%20Menger%20Sponges.htm
--> What's procedural texturing? Could it help rendering my sponge?