POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saving PovRay objects as geometry : Re: Saving PovRay objects as geometry Server Time
28 Sep 2024 04:33:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving PovRay objects as geometry
From: H  Karsten
Date: 31 Oct 2011 14:45:01
Message: <web.4eaeec36dc71d3eca3bfeb720@news.povray.org>
> I can't help but put a small damper on the enthusiasm about this
> approach: The resulting mesh objects will never render the same as the
> original, no matter how high you crank up the detail. You'd need a way
> to preserve surface normal information for that. (This is true even for
> simple diffuse illumination.)

It's not always about rendering. If so, you would be right - But only a picture
as a result does not need to have a .raw-file on the hard-drive at the end of
the day.

But sometimes a mesh is needed for example doing an animation somewhere else,
heaving its rough shape. Than take back only the matrix to PovRay and do the
rendering, using the _original_ object instead of the mesh-file.

Best rgds,
Holger