POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scripts for Parallel Rendering of Animations : Re: Scripts for Parallel Rendering of Animations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripts for Parallel Rendering of Animations
From: Verklagekasper
Date: 27 Oct 2011 11:55:02
Message: <web.4ea97e55f89e5a3fa72194e50@news.povray.org>
Dave <use### [at] iamdaveATglidefreecom> wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 7:22 AM, Verklagekasper wrote:
> >    if not exist !filename!.%suffix% (
>
> Note that there is a race condition here both on a single
> multi-processor PC or when using multiple PC's referencing a network
> shared folder. In practice you >will< wind up with two or more
> PC/core's rendering the same image.

For that reason, the first thing that the scripts - both on Windows and Linux -
do when they detect a non-existing file, is to create the file before starting
Povray. By this, the chance that two processes render the same image, is
considerably low. And even if it happens, it is not harmful. The resulting image
file will be ok.
However, I haven't rendered with more than 32 concurrent Povray instances so
far. With a lot more instances, more collisions may occur, affecting efficiency
negatively. So I will consider to build in better lock mechanisms.

Cheers,
Burkhard