POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saving PovRay objects as geometry : Re: Saving PovRay objects as geometry Server Time
11 May 2024 17:33:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving PovRay objects as geometry
From: H  Karsten
Date: 21 Oct 2011 18:45:00
Message: <web.4ea1f4c8dc71d3eca3bfeb720@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 21/10/2011 21:15, H. Karsten nous fit lire :
> > Ok, I changed the concept:
> > Creating a surface is based in two parts, and to realise both within the PovRay
> > language is slow, complicate and not necessary.
> >
> > Only the first part will run insight of PovRay, and it will be MUCH faster!
> > It will create a file, I call .qvx (quick voxel). This file will be taken by a
> > external App, to convert it to a mesh.
>
> Make it a mesh2 syntax, as parsing mesh syntax get slower as bigger the
> mesh is (and it is not with mesh2)
>
> I'm sad you did not read my previous post.

The problem is, that a mesh2 file would need to be optimised, just like a .obj
file.

Optimising means usage of a lot of memory.

Better is, to save it as raw and convert it later. Converter are well optimised
to handle those problems. As well there are lots of apps available that can
build UVs on your meshes.

To do an optimisation on the mesh, is not a task at the moment. The most
important steps for now are speed, and High-res results.

We'll see later if there is more need for adds, for example build a mesh-camera
automatically for baking textures or something.

Best rgds,
Holger