POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How would you create sparkle effects? : Re: How would you create sparkle effects? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How would you create sparkle effects?
From: D103
Date: 16 Oct 2011 19:05:01
Message: <web.4e9b61892be7bbb05ae2687f0@news.povray.org>
"Leef_me" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> For example, disco mirror-balls and sequins on clothing catch light and reflect
> it.
>
> My intent is making a movie that has 'random' flashes and flickers.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Leef_me

For a disco mirror ball, I think the best thing to use would be a mesh with a
reflective and highly specular texture in conjunction with photon mapping. I
have noticed a similar effect with some diamonds I have made the same way.

For sequins on clothing, while I haven't actually done anything involving
people,
a texture_map seems to me to be the best course, for example

object {
  Clothing
  texture {
    bozo texture_map {
    [ 0.1 Sequins ]   //play around with these values
    [ 0.2 Cloth ]
   }
   scale //appropriate scale value
}

The Sequins texture would have to have a high reflection value, > 0.6, like the
disco ball. If you want a spectrum of reflected colours, use dispersion in the
interior statement of the object.

You could of course fake the colours, by making a more complex texture_map with
random colours. I have a random colour macro that I would be willing to post if
you're interested.

Be aware that photon mapping takes time, my diamonds scene took 25 minutes to
render at 800x600, for a 30 fps animation, this would mean >14 hours to render,
assuming that you are moving/rotating the objects that use photons, if not, use
a photon save_file.

Hope this helps,
D103