POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Invisible Photon Mapping : Re: Invisible Photon Mapping Server Time
26 Jun 2024 06:54:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible Photon Mapping
From: Quartz
Date: 4 Sep 2011 19:25:01
Message: <web.4e6407efc559cf212b8e18870@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> Why is your sun and planets both at coordinate 0?

The planet[s] should be in a union that's translated at the end.

> With 3.6.1, there was a bug in radiosity: The recursion level had to
> take transparent surfaces into consideration. You have 4 athmospheric
> layers and recursion_level default to 3. Then, you have two sets of
> layers plus the actual surface, for a total of 9.

Excellent! I think you've hit upon it, Alain! Thank you.

> That said, I realy think that you should use only one athmospheric shell
> containing only scattering media. You then modulate the density of that
> media as needed, using the spherical pattern scalled to the radius of
> the athmonsphre or some custom function.

Oh, I didn't realize we had a spherical pattern before! I will definitely
investigate.

> fade_power 10? for your athmosphere?
> A realistic fade_power is 1 for substances to use linear fading, or 1001
> to use the exponential formula.
> Test without fading gives beter results.
> It's fade_power 2 for a fading light_source.

This was to replace extinction, because I wasn't artistically satisfied with
realistic results. Still willing to work on that; I probably just didn't have it
configured correctly.

Thanks a lot, everyone! I might post more on this later, but my initial question
has been answered.