POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Invisible Photon Mapping : Re: Invisible Photon Mapping Server Time
26 Jun 2024 06:46:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invisible Photon Mapping
From: Quartz
Date: 3 Sep 2011 20:05:00
Message: <web.4e62c036c559cf212b8e18870@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> It should not affect the photons, but if your photons do cast caustics
> on that object, they won't show as the receiving surface is no longer
> visible in any reflection. A reflective object with no_reflection will
> reflect it's environment but will itself won't be reflected by other
> reflective surfaces. It will also not self reflect.

This doesn't appear to agree with the results that I'm getting. The
"no_reflection" approach did in fact work, although other considerations cause
me to agree that radiosity is more appropriate.

> You must NOT use both count and spacing for your photons. One OR the
> other, never both. ...

I can definitely believe I was misusing the photon feature; I'm still a newbie
with it.

> You should make your light_source parallel.

I would rather not, thanks, unless it is producing significant rounding errors
or slowing down the scene computation.

> You should NOT use ambient_lights 0.
> It beter to always use assumed_gamma 1 for all scenes.

As for ambient_light vs. assumed_gamma, it looks to me like their purposes are
totally different. An ambient_light of zero is recommended on this documentation
page for version 3.6:
http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/270/

> You should upgrade to version 3.7. It works much beter.

Upgrading to version 3.7 sounds exciting but unnecessary at this time.