POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? : Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors? Server Time
20 May 2024 07:50:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does PoV-Ray 3.6 support multi-core processors?
From: jmichae3
Date: 26 Aug 2011 20:30:01
Message: <web.4e58399ac63734ce379c87210@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> As for raytracing computers NEVER are fast enough, I currently toy with
> the idea of upgrading my prehistoric rattletrap (AMD Athlon 64 3500+) to
> a multicore system, preferably with an AMD Phenom II X6, i. e. a
> hexa-core CPU.
>
> But obviously not all software supports using all cores - does PoV-Ray
> 3.6 (I would not use 3.7 unless its final version is released, a friend
> experienced a bad crash with the current beta)? Are there differences
> between the Windows and Linux versions (I use Linux)?
>
> See you in Khyberspace - www.khyberspace.de
>
> Yadgar

the intel i7-995x is the top processor on the passmark list.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
windows will think it has 12 cores if I am not mistaken (I have a hyperthreaded
pentium 4 and it is a 1 core with 2 threads, thinks it's a 2-proc box).  you
will want megapov since I hear that's the only one that supports
multithreading/multicores.