POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray-Meets-Hand-Drawn Animation Ready For Viewing : POV-Ray-Meets-Hand-Drawn Animation Ready For Viewing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray-Meets-Hand-Drawn Animation Ready For Viewing
From: Dan Byers
Date: 24 Aug 2011 19:15:00
Message: <web.4e558596b20022aeb8c6ece00@news.povray.org>
Hello!  Long time, no visit...

Over the past two months*, I've been working on a way to take images drawn by
hand using programs like Sketchbook Pro, Painter, or GIMP, and have POV-Ray
generate real CSG objects out of them, something I refer to as Convergence.
This is in contrast to the way I've done previous hand-drawn animations with
POV-Ray's assistance, where I take my source image and image_map it to a
polygon.  With this method, the images are real CSG objects that can be unioned,
differenced, intersected, etc, just like any other cylinder, sphere, box,
whatever.  Anyway, I've just finished my final proof-of-concept reel, and it's
available for viewing at:

http://vimeo.com/28085508

There are three other test reels that focus more on the 2-D creation process --
animatics, dialog sync, and hand-drawn line art; feel free to visit my blog
(check my sig) to get to the links, if you're so inclined.  There's also one
other film:  my character Three-eyed Larry as a POV-Ray object with the camera
doing a slow orbit of him.  That film is here:

http://vimeo.com/27990034

Like I mentioned, these are all proof-of-concept films, so you'll have to excuse
the lack of a story, sound effects, music, etc.  Still, I'm very excited about
what these films represent, and I'm looking forward to getting something written
and produced using this animation technique.

I'll post a screen shot in the povray.binaries.images forum shortly, in case you
want to get an idea of what it is I did.  Feel free to leave comments here or my
blog.  Thanks!

--
Dan
GoofyGraffix.com

*In all honesty, I've been thinking about this concept since 2003.  Yes, I'm
moving at the speed of Dan, as the Better Half would say ;)