POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Modeller program for use with Linux? : Re: Modeller program for use with Linux? Server Time
15 May 2024 11:37:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeller program for use with Linux?
From: commodorejohn
Date: 14 Aug 2011 20:05:00
Message: <web.4e4861cdedee7f92ac78bca60@news.povray.org>
"jhu" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> You could always use the Povray SDL. It's not that difficult. Also, you can pick
> up an old and cheap core2 or athlon ii computer that is much faster than the
> ppc970.
I _could,_ yeah, but as Jim says, I find it easier to work with some kind of
visual aid when designing scenes. Much simpler that way. I suppose I _could_ do
the modelling in Moray/Win and export to POV scenes to be rendered on the Mac,
but that seems unnecessarily awkward.

As far as the PPC970 goes, the benchmarks I've seen actually put my particular
G5 (2.5GHz, dual-core dual-CPU) about on par with a 3GHz Core 2 Duo, and while I
_could_ get a nicer PC system, I don't really have a need to, as this is more
than enough horsepower for my needs and I find x86 kind of gross under the hood
anyway.

Although I gather that I need to build POV-Ray 3.7 RC3 in order to have
multi-core support, so I suppose I ought to do that...