POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : constructing solid mesh from surface mesh : Re: constructing solid mesh from surface mesh Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: constructing solid mesh from surface mesh
From: kiwon
Date: 21 Jul 2011 11:50:01
Message: <web.4e28499cfccc6bd34c0a951f0@news.povray.org>
"Roman Reiner" <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> "kiwon" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > If I put *inside_vector y* (because the surface's average normal direction is y
>
> That's not how inside_vector works.
>
> It simply defines the specified point to be *inside* the object, thus
> determining its inside and outside.

Really? I don't think so. Please check the manual *3.4.2.3.1 Solid Mesh* it
says:
To determine if a point is inside a triangle mesh, POV-Ray shoots a ray from the
point in some arbitrary direction. If this vector intersects an odd number of
triangles, the point is inside the mesh. If it intersects an even number of
triangles, the point is outside of the mesh. You can specify the direction of
this vector. For example, to use +z as the direction, you would add the
following line to the triangle mesh description (following all other mesh data,
but before the object modifiers).
  inside_vector <0, 0, 1>
This change does not have any effect on unions of triangles, these will still be
always hollow.