POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering Artifact : Re: Rendering Artifact Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Artifact
From: Hendricks266
Date: 16 Jun 2011 12:05:02
Message: <web.4dfa28d047a5f7ae73748f4b0@news.povray.org>

> Your m_Sphere mesh is not properly closed; while POV-Ray will still
> /try/ to treat such meshes as solids if you use the "inside_vector"
> keyword, this actually only works in very few cases, and you will
> usually get artifacts when using such a mesh in CSG.
>
> In an intersection with a single other object, for instance, the effect
> is that any gaps in the mesh will be projected along the inside_vector,
> causing the surface of the other intersected object to be visible within
> the region of this projection.
>
> The only reliable way to avoid such artifacts is to properly close all
> meshes you use in CSG.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there any simple or automated way to fix the
mesh, or to make sure that it is correct at the beginning of the process? The
POV-Ray files in my pipeline are converted from another format (with a program
of which I can edit its source), so any manual editing methods in the middle
will make the process almost useless.