POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Trying to understand repetition in agate as a normal : Re: Trying to understand repetition in agate as a normal Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:37:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to understand repetition in agate as a normal
From: Frank Buchanan
Date: 9 Jun 2011 17:55:00
Message: <web.4df1403e5f511c4e2dc642590@news.povray.org>
> > I am now trying to make my puzzle pieces look more interesting
>
> But don't overdo it, actually I like the smooth geometric cleanness of the original
version for this
> sort of thing ;)

Agreed, it is possible to overdo it.  More isn't necessarily better.

> Another approach to make them look more interesting would be to play with
> transparency and filter in the pigment, reflection in the finish, and ior in the
> interior, to make them look more like colored glass. To make the reflection
> look interesting enough you may need to give them some environment to
> reflect. And it may be slow with so many interacting objects.

I'm not too worried about render time.  I had thought about transparency and
was/am planning to experiment with that.  Keeping in mind that the main goal is
to describe the puzzle solution, it's not clear to me (pun intended) whether
transparency would make it easier to see the pieces behind front ones, or if it
will just make it more difficult to see where the front piece ends and the
others begin.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Frank B