POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light problem (v3.6 to v3.7) : Re: Light problem (v3.6 to v3.7) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light problem (v3.6 to v3.7)
From: studionase
Date: 2 Jun 2011 13:55:00
Message: <web.4de7ce56e20d2f3c94a893170@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
> Le 02/06/2011 17:50, studionase nous fit lire :
> > Hi community
> >
> > I have a problem with the output between the v3.6 and v3.7.
> > In the new POV-Ray the light is different to the older version.
> > You can see it on this picture:
> > http://web.fensarus.ch/povray_light_difference.png
> >
> > What settings do I have to make in v3.7 so the output looks like in v3.6 ??
> > Thank you very much in advance !!!
> >
> > Regard
> > studionase
> >

> From the beta page
>

> If assumed_gamma is not specified, and #version is set to pre-3.7 or
>     undefined, full compatibility with 3.6 and earlier is maintaned.
>
> If assumed_gamma is specified and #version is set to pre-3.7 or undefined,
>     compatibility with 3.6 is subject to the following restrictions: (a)
> full
> output file handling compatibility requires File_Gamma to be set to the
> same value as Display_Gamma (or left undefined if Display_Gamma is
> undefined), and (b) input file handling is not backward compatible in
> case of PNG files.
>
> If assumed_gamma is not specified and #version is set to 3.7 or higher,
> compatibility with 3.6 or earlier is not maintained.
>

> Have you tried it ?

Hi
Yeah, it works. I put in:

global_settings { assumed_gamma 2.0 }

But I didn't understand what the File_Gamma exactly does.

Curiosity, I found here an information, which says, you should not use
assumed_gamma.. ?!??
http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Fix_old_scenes_to_work_with_the_new_gamma_system

So, shall I use it or not to transfer the older projects?