POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Counter-intuitive behaviour in media scattering : Counter-intuitive behaviour in media scattering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Counter-intuitive behaviour in media scattering
From: Anthony D  Baye
Date: 24 May 2011 14:40:00
Message: <web.4ddbfaff21a005969c4fb0ad0@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to create a planet with an atmosphere.  I'm using modified code
provided in my thread in p.b.i.

from what I understand, from discussions, intuition and reading the docs,
scattering specifies the type, color and amount of light diffused by the media:
Thus, a scattering of

scattering { 1, <0.3, 0.17, 0.05>*0.005 }

should scatter very little light, allowing most of the light to reach the
planet's surface, while

scattering { 1, <0.3, 0.17, 0.05>*5 }

should scatter 1000 times as much, allowing very little to reach the planet's
surface.

I have, however, observed the reverse for all scattering methods, where the
first is opaque, as if the planet was shrouded in fog, and the second is mostly
transparent, but not at all what it seems I should be getting.

My media statement looks like this:

media {
     method 3
     intervals 1
     scattering {
          4, <0.3, 0.17, 0.05>*1.618
          extinction 1.0
          }
     samples 300
     absorption rgb <0.95, 0.55, 0.15>*0.05
     density {
          function {exp( -(sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)-63870)/4 )}
          density_map {
               [0 rgb 0.0]
               [1 rgb 0.1]
               }
          }
     }

This gives me a transparent atmosphere with a cast to the planet and heavy haze
at the terminator.

altering the scattering as in the first example gives a planet shrouded in fog.

I would post images, but they take hours to render.

any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
A.D.B.