POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with plastic texture : Re: Help with plastic texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with plastic texture
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 15 May 2011 22:55:00
Message: <web.4dd09129d4641764b05ef170@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Thanks again for the info.  I've since used a light group to get around
> this, the lights just for the coloured items, that way the metal items dont
> look too washed out.
>
> Texturing has allways been a severe weak point in my poving over the years,
> hopefully one day I'll get the hang of it!
>
> Cheers Dre

If you are texturing and lighting properly, you shouldn't get washout.  I would
think that means that either your light or your textures are too bright.  The
object colour comes from a combination of the light falling on it and how it is
textured.

For textures, keep diffuse reasonable, I rarely use higher than 0.6.  Make sure
you aren't using 'ambient' (unless absolutely necessary).

You also want to keep your light intensities reasonable as well, I would say
averages are from 1 to 3 with a maximum of maybe 6 to 10.  Of course you can
have brighter as the scene or texture dictates, but you have to take care of
washout.

I find it best to try to think in terms of how the interaction is in real-life
and adjust values that try to reflect that.

Perhaps post a simplified version of your scene, especially what your light and
material settings are.

-tgq