POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with plastic texture : Re: Help with plastic texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with plastic texture
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 15 May 2011 20:35:01
Message: <web.4dd07015d4641764b05ef170@news.povray.org>
"Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Dre" <and### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
> > Hi all, I have been struggling bigtime trying to get a realistic plastic
> > texture to work with a hdr background.
> >
> > Whenever I get close it allways looks washed out or way too reflective (ie
> > like shiney metal), I'd really like a brilliant white shiney surface.  For
> > example the same as a brand new white painted car panel.
> >
> > If someone could help me out I would much appreciate it!
> >
> > An quick mock up of my scene is below:
> >
> > // ----------- code start
> > #include "colors.inc"
> > #include "textures.inc"
> >
> > camera {
> >  location <0, 0, 10>
> >  look_at <0, 0, 0>
> >  right x * image_width / image_height
> > }
> >
> > sphere {
> >  0, 12000
> >  hollow
> >  pigment { image_map { hdr "Factory_Catwalk_2k.hdr" map_type 1 } }
> >  finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1 }
> > }
> >
> > sphere {
> >  0, 3
> >  pigment { color rgb 1 }
> >  finish { specular 1 roughness 0.0001 reflection 0.13 }
> > }
> > // ----------- code end
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Cheers Dre
> >

> Hi, replying here to both Trevor and Alain.
>
> Thank you both for your help, those examples give me the finish I am looking
> for, but no matter what I do, the sphere allways comes out black.  The metal
> surfaces in my image look great, but anything coloured is black (or very
> very dark).  I'm not using any lights as I thought the hdr took care of
> that.  If I stick a light in there it all looks wrong and way to bright...
>
> In the past I've only really used hdr backgrounds for metal things, but now
> I'm trying to use other surfaces and am really struggling.
>
> I've attached a pic of what I'm talking about.  That black thing needs to be
> white :)
>
> Cheers Dre

if you are using just reflection with no light and no radiosity, it will come
out black.  Plastic reflection ('metallic off') does not colour the reflection.
The surface colour of the base object will come from diffuse interaction with
light sources, so if you don't have any, you can expect the object colour to
show up black (no light = no diffuse interaction), reflection of the background
alone won't colour it.

-tgq